Migraines cost S’pore $1 billion in 2018: Study

A study, entitled Economic Burden of Migraine in Singapore conducted by Duke-NUS Medical School and pharmaceutical company Novartis, has found that migraine sufferers caused some $1.04 billion in economic losses in 2018, where productivity loss made up 80 per cent of the cost, and remaining 20 per cent attributed to healthcare cost. Dr Eric Finkelstein, Professor of Health Services and Systems Research at Duke-NUS Medical School and co-author of the study said that migraines had long-term detrimental effects on people's work, such as affecting their career progression, as well as their lives at home.