NUS honours five distinguished alumni for their contributions towards nation-building and promotion of the arts and social sciences
The National University of Singapore (NUS) Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) tonight honoured the contributions of five eminent alumni at the annual FASS STARS Awards 2019. The Faculty also celebrated the achievements and recognised faculty members for their dedication and excellence in research, teaching, mentoring, service and long service awards.
Established in 2015, the Distinguished Arts and Social Sciences Alumni Award is conferred on individuals in recognition of their distinguished scholarship and outstanding service to the Faculty, the University and Singapore.
NUS President Professor Tan Eng Chye presented the awards to the following five recipients:
- Mrs Ann Elizabeth Wee, Associate Professorial Fellow at the Department of Social Work at NUS FASS
- Mr S. Chandra Das, former Member of Parliament and Singapore’s Non-Resident High Commissioner to The Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
- Ambassador Barry Desker, Member of the Presidential Council for Minority Rights and Singapore’s Non-Resident Ambassador to the Holy See and the Kingdom of Spain
- Mr Wong Kan Seng, former Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore and Chairman of Ascendas-Singbridge as well as United Overseas Bank
- Ms Janet Lim, former Assistant High Commissioner at the United Nations Refugees Agency
These outstanding award recipients have achieved excellence in various fields locally and internationally, and their work has also contributed to the betterment of society and the promotion of the arts and social sciences.
Professor Robbie Goh, Dean of the NUS Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, said, “As the NUS Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences celebrates our 90th anniversary this year, we are heartened that many of our alumni are making meaningful contributions to different sectors of our society. Tonight, we are very pleased to honour five FASS alumni who have distinguished themselves in their respective fields. They are making an impact on Singapore society, and also flying the Singapore flag high on the global stage. Their achievements will inspire the Faculty and our students to reach for greater heights.”
Please refer to the Annex for information on the recipients of the Distinguished Arts and Social Sciences Alumni Award.